This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work.
This article has been viewed 182,126 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to use Apple's strong encryption feature to share passwords and payment information across iCloud-enabled devices with your Apple ID.
Method 1Method 1 of 2:On an iOS Device Download Article
- 1Open Settings. It's a gray app that contains gears (⚙️) and is typically located on your home screen.
- 2Tap your Apple ID. It's the section at the top of the screen that contains your name and image if you've added one.
- If you are not signed in, tap Sign in to (your device), enter your Apple ID and password, then tap Sign In.
- If you are running an older version of iOS, you may not need to do this step.
- 3Tap on . It's in the second section of the menu.
- 4Tap . It's near the bottom of the "APPS USING ICLOUD" section.
- 5Slide iCloud Keychain to the "On" position. It will turn green.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID and password.
- 6Choose your passcode settings. You can choose to use your device passcode as your iCloud Security code by tapping Use Passcode, or create a new code by tapping Create Different Code.
- 7Enter your security code.
- If you created a new code, enter it in again to confirm.
- 8Enter a phone number that can receive SMS messages. This is for security verification purposes.
- 9Tap . It's in the top-right corner.
- 10Enter your Apple ID password.
- 11Tap . iCloud Keychain is now enabled. Your passwords and payment information will be encrypted and available on all iCloud-enabled devices that you've signed into with your Apple ID.
- Any previously saved usernames and passwords, wireless network information, and internet accounts are automatically updated in iCloud Keychain when you enable it.XResearch source
- 12Return to the Settings menu. Do so by tapping iCloud in the upper-left corner, then Apple ID and Settings in the same location.
- 13Scroll down and tap . It's near the middle of the menu, next to a blue compass icon.
- 14Tap . It's in the "GENERAL" section.
- 15Slide "Names and Passwords" to the "On" position. Doing so enables iCloud Keychain to automatically fill in your username and password when using Safari.
- 16Slide "Credit Cards" to the "On" position. Doing so enables iCloud Keychain to automatically fill in credit card information when using Safari.
- 17Tap . It's at the bottom of the menu.
- 18Enter your passcode or touch your finger to the Home button, if Touch ID is enabled. Your list of saved credit cards will appear on the screen.
- Tap Add Credit Card and enter your card information if you'd like to add a new card; tap Done when finished.
Method 2Method 2 of 2:On a Mac Download Article
- 1Click the Apple menu. It's the Apple logo in the top left corner of the menu bar.
- 2Click .
- 3Click the "iCloud" icon. It's a white icon with a blue cloud.
- If you can't see the main menu, click the button (earlier versions of Mac OS X) or the three rows of dots (later versions of Mac OS X).
- 4Click on the checkbox next to "Keychain."
- 5Type in your Apple ID and password.
- 6Click . A popup window will appear asking to request approval.
- 7Click to use your iCloud Security Code.
- Click to send an approval request to another device via SMS Message.
- Access another linked device like your iPhone or iPad.
- Type in your Apple ID password
- Tap .
- 8Click . A verification code will be sent to your phone number.
- 9Type in the verification code.
- 10Click . iCloud Keychain will be enabled on your Mac.
- QuestionHow do you use a Keychain in a Windows 10?Community AnsweriCloud Keychain is only compatible with iOS and Mac devices.
- QuestionWhat do I do if I have no icon for keychain on my Mac screen?Community AnsweriCloud Keychain is only available on your Mac on OS X Mavericks 10.9 and later. If you don't see the Keychain icon, first check that you are running on a compatible version.
- QuestionHow can I receive a verification code to set up KEYCHAIN on IPad 2 without a cell or smart phone?Community AnswerYou will need to contact Apple Support to verify your identity, if you do not have a device capable of receiving SMS. https://support.apple.com/contact
- QuestionWho has access to my keychain?Community AnswerOnly devices signed in to your secure iCloud account. Apple cannot read any information stored in iCloud keychain.
- QuestionWhat if I don't want the key chain to store personal information?Community AnswerThen you don't have to store it into your keychain. If it asks you to store your personal information, click 'never.'
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
- "Gave me simple, straightforward actions to take to accomplish what I wanted."