This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
There are 10 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 223,551 times.
So you're coming up on an April Fool's Day, and you want to do the fooling this year? You can pull the best pranks that everyone will laugh at if you keep a few things in mind. For starters, lighthearted pranks always work best, so try to think along those lines.
Method 1Method 1 of 4:Setting Up a Prank
- 1Set it up where a person is comfortable. That is, pick a place that is a part of the person's normal routine. If you try to get them to come to the prank rather than having the prank come to them, they're more likely to be suspicious, especially on April 1.XResearch source
- For instance, set up the prank in their home or work, as they are most comfortable there.
- If you ask them to meet you somewhere or come outside, for example, they may become suspicious.
- 2Try early in the morning. By mid-morning, everyone has had a chance to realize it is April 1, so they are are on their guard. However, if you start early, you're more likely to catch people unawares, especially before they've had their morning coffee.XResearch sourceAdvertisement
- 3Keep it lighthearted. Fooling someone is one thing, but they should be able to laugh at the joke when it's revealed. Silly and fun works much better than serious and threatening. You don't want an April Fool's joke to cost you a relationship, a job, or even worse, land you in jail.XResearch source
- For instance, filling a room with balloons is silly. Making someone trip when they walk in the room could be more serious, especially if it leads to injury.
Method 2Method 2 of 4:Pranking Friends and Family
- 1Try bedtime pranks. One good, easy prank is to put something under a person's pillow. Messy substances work best for this prank, such as marshmallow cream or shaving cream. When the person gets ready to go to sleep, they'll stick their hands under the pillow and find a silly surprise.
- 2Create alarm clock fun. Alarm clocks are often used to prank people because you can set them to go off at a later time. One way to use alarm clocks is to gather a bunch of them and hide them around someone's room. Set them to go off at different times during the night.XResearch source
- Another option that takes more commitment is to make someone early for something. For instance, if your spouse gets up before dawn to go to work, you can set all the clocks and smartphones in the house to several hours earlier. When your spouse gets up at his or her "normal" time, it will actually be hours earlier.
- 3Fake destroying important documents. Secretly make a copy of documents important to a friend or coworker. Hide the original away. In front of the person, "accidentally" spill coffee on it.XResearch source
- This prank works especially well if it's something that's not easily reproduced, such as a birth certificate, car title, or something that was notarized.
- It also works well to play it on a friend who doesn't have easy access to a printer and who has printed off a paper for class already.
- 4Cover a car in sticky notes. This prank takes some time and commitment, but the shock value is worth it. Simply buy a bunch of sticky notes, and cover the entire car with them. The driver will have to remove them before he or she can leave.XResearch source
- It's maybe best not to play this prank when it will make someone late to work, school, or another commitment. It can take a while to remove all of the sticky notes, so allow ample time.
Method 3Method 3 of 4:Pranking at the Office
- 1Wrap a phone in rubber bands. This prank is a good one for the office. Simply use rubber bands large enough to wrap around the person's office phone, then completely wrap the phone in rubber bands. When they go to use the phone, they'll have to unwrap it first.XResearch source
- Remember that you're taking a chance anytime you pull a prank at the office. You're cutting down on productivity, and your boss may not be okay with that. Make sure you are willing to accept the consequences before you pull an office prank.
- 2Grow a garden in a keyboard. One way to prank coworkers is to grow gardens in keyboards and switch them out for the working keyboards. When your coworkers come in, you'll definitely get a laugh.XResearch source
- Start with an old, broken keyboard. Add water, soil, and chia or grass seeds. Enclose it in a clear plastic bag (loosely) to create a greenhouse, and set it in a sunny spot.
- Check on the soil every day to make sure it stays moist. Let it grow for about a week.
- Set the garden keyboard on the desk, and hide the person's regular keyboard.
- It is NOT a good idea to do this prank on a working office keyboard. That is destruction of company property, and you could easily be fired for that. Even if you're not using company property, consider your office atmosphere and the temperament of your boss before pulling this prank.
- 3Make mayo donuts. Buy a box of glazed donuts. On top of them, spread or pipe mayonnaise to look like frosting. Your unsuspecting coworkers will get a mouthful of mayonnaise when they're expecting sweet frosting.XResearch source
- This prank could backfire if someone has a food allergy or is vegan or vegetarian. Just be sure you take that into consideration before attempting it.
- 4"Freeze" their computers. One way to prank coworkers is to take a screenshot of their computer screens. Then, you replace their background with that screenshot. Once you hide the icons, it will look like their regular screen, but they won't be able to click on anything.
- Start by hitting "Print Screen" on their keyboard. Paste it into a program like Paint. Save it as an image.
- Next, replace the background image with your image. You can usually do this step by right-clicking on the screen and hitting "personalize" or "preferences" on the menu.
- Hide the icons. The easiest way to hide the icons is to right-click on the desktop, then move to "View." Next, uncheck the box for "Show Desktop Icons." Check this box again when you want them to reappear.XResearch source
- Once again, this prank will cut down on productivity, so make sure you're okay with the consequences if your boss isn't happy.
Method 4Method 4 of 4:Knowing What to Avoid
- 1Don't use a prank to isolate and humiliate someone. In some settings, such as the office, pranks are often played on either the top performer or the under performer. In other words, the prank is often played on someone that others would like to see humbled a bit. In that case, the prank can go pretty wrong, considering that the person you're pranking could end up feeling victimized, leading to poor office morale or even consequences for you.XResearch source
- Also, it's never a good idea to prank the boss, unless she or he has created an atmosphere where everyone gets pranked now and then.
- Stick to people who can take the joke or even unilaterally play it on everyone.
- Another option is just sticking to friends and loved ones, who know you care about them.
- 2Skip the scare tactics. Simply jumping out at someone may not be so bad, but pulling elaborate pranks that fake someone's death are much less appropriate. For instance, if your girlfriend faked her death, how would that make you feel? Most people are left feeling hurt and vulnerable even after the prank has been revealed, so it's a good idea to skip these types of pranks.XResearch source
- 3Avoid "good news" pranks. That is, don't tell someone they've won a car, for example. It gets their hopes up, and then you just have to dash them later. This type of prank can turn cruel very quickly.XResearch source
- This step is even more true when it's more personal. For instance, telling someone their song is going to be played on the radio can raise false hopes that will leave the person feeling very disappointed.
- 4Don't do anything dangerous. Hitting someone in the face with a cream pie isn't dangerous. Digging a hole for someone to fall in is dangerous. You don't want to cause harm to another person, especially since you could be liable for any hospital bills or even face criminal charges.XResearch source
- 5Skip anything illegal. It can be easy to tip into illegal activities when pulling a prank. Moving someone's car, permanently damaging property, or even tripping someone could all be construed as illegal if things go wrong. Think about the possible consequences of your prank before you pull it off.XResearch source
- QuestionWhat type of prank on my teacher can my whole class can do together?Community AnswerWear fake mustaches and/or wigs, sit in random seats, and make up new names. Do this in the morning before going into the class, and don't let the teacher see you until you're all in your desks.
- QuestionAre there any April Fool's tricks to do at school for students to use?Community AnswerYou could try sticking a piece of chalk in the eraser so that it scribbles on the board instead of erasing it!
- QuestionHow do I pull the best pranks?Community AnswerBe careful about what type of prank you're doing. Make sure it's fun for everyone and won't hurt anyone.
- QuestionHow do I prank my brother without letting him know?Community AnswerTry to set up the prank when he is away from the house.
- QuestionI need a prank to pull on my teacher -- you can help me?Community AnswerPut tape over out teacher's computer mouse (the part on the bottom) to block the signal. Your teacher will be confused when moving the mouse doesn't do anything! A word of advice -- keep the prank simple and fun; don't do anything nasty or targeted at making your teacher look really foolish or hurt.
- QuestionHow can I find pranks to pull on my little sister?Community AnswerThere are plenty of websites that features lots of ideas. Be sure when you pick one that it won't be scary for a small child.
- QuestionHow do I prank my teacher at school without getting caught?Community AnswerYou need to use ninja stealth. Try one of the aforementioned pranks when nobody (including the teacher) is looking.
- QuestionI need a prank I can pull off on my teacher and friends. What prank should I do?Community AnswerYou could take their pencil and put clear nail polish on the top of the pencil, so when they try to write with the pencil it will no longer work.
- QuestionWhat if they know it's April 1 and get suspicious?Community AnswerTry it on another day of the year when they won't suspect it!
- QuestionWho invented April Fool's Day?Community AnswerMany cultures have a tradition of a fool's day, so it didn't originate with just one person. However, one tradition supposed that our modern version of April Fool's Day originated Pope Gregory XIII in 1582, when he moved the beginning of the New Year from April 1 to January 1. Those who celebrated in April were "April Fools."
- Don’t do anything that involves the person’s fears especially at the end of the day. This could disrupt their sleep for a while.
- Early morning is the best time to play a joke because by the end of the day, people are more cautious.
- Don’t ask about things such as “what are you allergic to” or “when do you get home?” at the day of the prank, try asking them earlier so they won’t suspect.
- The best way to prank someone is to get them when they are least expecting it.